Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Review - "The Next Christians"

This is quite a book. Honestly, through the first few chapters, I thought it was a lot of information to take in. But from about chapter four on, it was like I couldn't put it down. I am an avid reader anyway, and I am also a church leader who is always looking for whatever information that could be critical for helping us become what God wants us to be. The Next Christians gives us some of that information.

I love the idea that author Gabe Lyons (co author of the book "UnChristian) gives about Christians being "restorers." We are not called to be the criticizers of culture, but the changers (or leaders) of the culture. We need to see things as they OUGHT to be, and work diligently toward bring that vision to pass. I loved the chapter on being "provoked, not offended." And his point about being "countercultural, not relevant" was also quite impacting.

The point that I see, that makes those who would identify themselves as "the next Christians" do what they do, is that we are to be engaged in our culture, but not necessarily adapters to it. And we definitely do not need to be absent from the cultural currents that are flowing today.

All in all, this is a great informational book, and I would reccommend that every church leader pick up a copy - especially if you want to understand the younger generation.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment